Tohill architects is an RIBA registered architectural practice based in Bangor, Co. Down. Established in 2017 by Gerard Tohill the practice is committed to the design of well made, cost effective buildings informed by their surroundings and rooted within the tradition of building in Ireland. We specialise in the design of bespoke houses and extensions individually tailored to suit the needs of our clients.
We approach every project across all scales with the same level of dedication and meticulous attention to detail. We try to engage our clients through a creative and collaborative process involving informal discussions and presentations of our ideas through models and drawings to develop a design that meets your specific requirements.
We work closely with engineers, manufacturers and craftspeople to ensure that the buildings we design are durable, cost effective and permanent. Our work is underpinned by pragmatic decision making, based in first principles and closely informed by a sensitivity to site and historical context.
We believe that well designed buildings enrich the lives of their inhabitants and the wider community.
- Guide you through the design, planning and construction process whether you are constructing a new building or adapting an existing property.
- Provide you with a tailor made design that suits your specific requirements, ensuring compliance with planning policy & building control regulations whilst advising you on cost.
- Submit drawings and associated planning application forms to local planning authorities for approval on your behalf.
- Submit construction drawings and specifications to building control authorities for approval on your behalf.
- Offer you advice on the tendering process, help find a good reliable builder and provide quality control over the build, helping you to complete your project efficiently and manage the budget.
You can find more details of the service that we provide here.
“Gerard was very helpful in providing the professional expertise to allow this project to meet the building and planning requirements. His enthusiastic suggestions improved upon my initial ideas and were gratefully incorporated into the plans. A pleasure to work with.”
Gerard Tohill studied architecture at Queen’s University Belfast graduating in 2011 with First Class honours and was nominated for the RIBA silver medal award. Following graduation he worked for Stirling award winning practice Haworth Tompkins and Metropolitan Workshop in London, before returning to Ireland in 2016.
Whilst working in London he was a key member of the design team for award winning buildings including the National Theatre in London and Royal College of arts. He has also worked for TAKA architects in Dublin, where he was project architect for Belvedere Sports Pavilion for Belvedere College.
He brings with him over 10 years experience working on arts and cultural buildings and in the design of private houses and extensions. He has exhibited work in the Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast in collaboration with Queen’s University and at the London festival of architecture 2017. He is a registered member of the ARB.
Gerard Tohill BScArch, MArch, ARB
Born July 1981
Bsc Arch, Queen’s University, Belfast, 2003
Assistant architect with BPA, Dublin, 2003 – 2007
MArch, Queen’s University, Belfast, 2008 – 2011
Teaching Assistant, Queen’s University, Belfast, 2011
Haworth Tompkins, London, 2011 – 2014
Metropolitan Workshop, London, 2014 – 2016
Diploma in Architecture Professional Practice, Westminster, 2015 – 2016
TAKA, Dublin, 2016